Evenings November 21 to 23, November 28 to 30 and December 5 to 7, 2019
5:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Admission $10.00 per person at the door, with a donation of a non-perishable item. Kids under 5 are FREE.
To purchase tickets on line CLICK HERE
Please be advised that with the exception of service animals, pets are not allowed on the historic site for this event.
Now in its 20th year, Sainte-Marie’s “First Light” is a must-see event with a great lineup of family activities and performers, all amidst the spectacular glow of over 5,000 candles. The magic begins when visitors approach the candlelit historic site, as a beautiful amber glow illuminates the famous 17th-century mission. Candlelit paths guide you throughout the historic site and up to Martyrs' Shrine, leading to a variety of fun family activities.
“First Light” has strong ties to community groups, and many will be involved in this year’s celebration, offering special “hands-on” children’s crafts and historic demonstrations. An abundance of music will also fill the air, including Indigenous drumming and singing, lively Franco-Ontarian folk songs, and delightful community and school choirs performing seasonal music over the nine evenings. For some early holiday shopping, over 50 exceptional crafters and artisans will be in the Sainte-Marie Museum and the Brébeuf Event Centre. Sainte-Marie's Flint and Timber Gift Shop, will be open each night.
FIREWORKS AT 7:00 PM ON: Thursday November 21st / Friday November 29th / Saturday December 7th
Parking at Sainte-Marie is limited and fills quickly on nights of First Light. Additional parking and Shuttle Information below:
FREE SHUTTLES ARE AVAILABLE AT WALMART. Shuttle route runs from Sainte-Marie to Shrine then to Walmart. Please note that there is NO parking at Shrine.
FREE SHUTTLES FROM DOWNTOWN MIDLAND: Pick up locations: Midland Public Library and 509 Bay Street. The Town bus will be running 5:00 to 9:30 pm.
DINNER and FIRST LIGHT ADMISSION PACKAGES AVAILABLE (4:30 to 5:30pm) Please call direct 705-527-4162.
Restaurant Sainte-Marie will be open for DINNER (special holiday menus or à la carte) from 5:30pm to 9:00pm Please call direct 705-527-4162.
Relax on the patio and warm yourselves by the fire. Order a hot beverage, cook a s'more (provided by Season's On Little Lake) or enjoy a beaver tail. This is truly Canadian.
Illuminating History Special Hotel PackageTake advantage of the First Light package which includes a souvenir lantern, entry to the event, food voucher for dinner at a local
restaurant and an overnight stay and breakfast at the Comfort Inn 705-526-2090.
Activities in Foyer Area
• Chris Walser drumming introduction in Theatre A
• Corn husk doll making in the BRÉBEUF EVENT CENTRE (Foyer Area) - always popular with the littles
• Crafters, Artisans and Holiday Food Vendors in the BRÉBEUF EVENT CENTRE (Foyer Area), and the MUSEUM:
• Local school & community choirs performing in Theatre B:
• Tasty treats in the Cookhouse
• Live animals in the Farmers Stable
• Quill pen writing and holiday cards in the Jesuit Residence
• New this year, a Candy Shop in the Carpenter shop
• A Nativity crèche will be on display in the stables near the Farmer’s Dwelling
• Blacksmithing demonstrations in the Blacksmith shop
• Live music by Doug Feaver in the Chapel of Sainte-Marie and Vince Therrien in Boivin Building
• Musket firing by local Reenactment Group at North West Bastion. Please be advised that the musket fire will
create very loud noises. SOUTH COURT
• Childrens' craft (make'n'take) in En Pilier
• Wye Marsh Bird of Prey in En Colombage (on select nights)
• Hot chocolate in Shoe-Maker Tailor shop
• Live music by Ruth Sutherland and Guest Jesuit from Martyrs Shrine in Church of St.Joseph
• Drumming and singing by John Somosi in the Longhouse (Different evenings will feature Red Spirit drum
• Teas being brewed in Hospital MARTYRS' SHRINE PROGRAM
• Snow Valley Tubing
• Warming fire under the 85 ft Christmas tree
• Authentic maple taffy experience
• Les Trois Soeurs Café will be open (menu of poutine, pulled pork, smoked burger & more)
• Christmas displays created by St.Ann's Catholic Elementary School
• Photos with St. Nicholas
• Childrens christmas craft
• Light a candle in the Votary for a special intention
• Limited viewing of Shrine altar